Monday, February 13, 2012

Changing the smoking policy, Part 1

I've decided to put a stop to my persistent writers block by just using this blog to chronicle things I'm doing for a while.  Talking about my thoughts got old.

For those of you who don't know me, I have pretty bad asthma which is primarily triggered by tobacco smoke.  Because of this, I'm unusually annoyed by people smoking on campus - instead of just lamenting the health problems which come with secondhand smoke, I actually need to avoid them.  And there are a lot of them.

At some point, it came to my attention that some schools have a policy of designated smoking areas... so I'm now trying to get this instated at my school.  It looks like its going to be a bit of a process.

Last night, I went and talked to our student government about it.  They are willing to support me if a majority of our students are in support of the idea.  So... the first step is to create a survey of the student body to ask who would be in support of having designated smoking areas on campus, and send it out.

I also need to find a list of schools that have designated smoking areas or are completely smoke free campuses... apparently my school's administration doesn't like being progressive about things like this.  That said, does anyone know of any schools with a smoking policy that's even more rigorous than "don't smoke in or too close to buildings"?

No comments:

Post a Comment