Sunday, February 19, 2012

How (not) to make extra cash

A week or two ago, I found myself on a blog post, something like 101 ideas for making extra cash.  Money is nice, I thought.  I'll check it out.

Most of the ideas amounted to spare jobs that people could pick up, and I was disappointed to see that many of these jobs were traditional teenager jobs - babysitting, pet care, shoveling walks, etc.  Also, I don't have time for an extra job, I already have one and five classes to manage.

The idea that interested me, something I've been wondering about for a while, was taking surveys for cash.  It even linked to a good website to do this on.  Easy, right?

Right!  It was easy!  Just sign up, take some surveys, and start making money!  One hitch, the surveys only pay a dollar each.  But that wasn't a problem, I'd just take a bunch - maybe one a day, get an extra 30 bucks a month.  Not bad.

So I tried a survey.  Answered some demographic questions.  Lied on most of them, honestly, I didn't really care that much.  After 15 minutes or so, I was told that I hadn't qualified for any surveys.  No survey means no pay.  So I tried another survey and again, no luck.

Luckily only an hour of my weekend was lost when I decided that it wasn't worth it.  I wasn't going to qualify for any surveys.  And, I quickly realized, if I really wanted to make extra money, I should just spend some extra time with my real job.  I'm lucky enough to have an hourly paid job that lets me work and take on hours whenever I want.  And if you're a student or have a job at all... well, taking surveys really won't be worth your time.  There are much, much better things to do with your life.

Just a warning, in case anyone else thinks they might be interested.

For me?  I'll stick to working, and blogging, and hoping for the occasional person to be interested in my ads.  Maybe sell some angry bird crochets, maybe write some crochet patterns of my own to sell.  We'll see what happens in my free time.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment