Thursday, November 8, 2012

More Rain :)

Rain does not fall on one roof alone.

Last night at church, we continued our study of ancient proverbs with this African proverb.

Pastor Dan talked about how we shouldn't forget to share our sorrows - that there is usually someone else who has gone through something similar, someone who can sympathize with us and give us advice.

When I first heard the proverb, I thought it differently.  I thought about how often, tragedy befalls the lot of us, not just one person.  Hurricane Sandy, for instance, affected a large number of people.  When someone passes away, everyone who loved her feels the loss.  Even the minor things - a stressful week - in college, at least, the stressful weeks hit everyone at the same time.  When we're hit with these things, we need to remember that those around us are probably feeling them as much as we are, and muster what strength we can to be compassionate towards those around us.  Too often, we like to pretend we're the worst off and everyone needs to help us, but that's rarely the case.

It's raining today.  I don't know what it is about rain and my blog and my always wanting to blog on rainy days, but it is what it is.  And today, it is raining.  I'm trying to pound out the thesis and lamenting that I can't quite find the courage to go outside and run in the rain, jump in a few puddles, enjoy the feel of raindrops splashing against my face.

It's raining today.  Have I ever mentioned how much I love rain?

Rain brings life.  So often, that phrase is used in the sense of "be grateful for the rain, it brings life".  But that's not what I mean.  Being around rain makes me feel alive.  I love it so much.  I miss it when I'm not at home, in my beautiful rainy state.  Only on very rare occasions does rain seem like a bad thing to me.

Rain does not fall on one roof alone... and happiness shared is happiness multiplied.

I'm sure it's not just me.

1 comment:

  1. You go, "Washington!" In Hawai'i, it's called "Liquid Sunshine" for reasons you already know. :-)

    ReplyDelete