Sunday, February 13, 2011

Please stay safe

A couple days ago, I received an email alerting me to a sexual assault on campus.

Now, I by no means want to trivialize sexual assault by saying this, or even remotely imply that the victim is ever at fault (the gender of the student was not actually specified).  I also don't know many details, such as if the two people knew each other.

However, the email did say one thing that caught my eye: "The student and the assailant left the [party] together and went to a nearby residence hall."  It was here that the assault happened.

I want to ask this: why?  Why did these two go to a nearby residence hall together?  If they knew each other, were very close friends, this is understandable.  However, if they didn't know each other, and one didn't want sex, maybe the whole thing could have been prevented.  (Unless, of course, that was forced too, which I don't know).

So here's what I want to ask you all: Guys, RESPECT WOMEN!  Girls, keep yourself safe.  Don't lock yourself alone in a room with a guy you don't know won't try to pull shit on you.  Especially if he's drunk.  It's just a bad idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment