Thursday, February 10, 2011

Estoy Pensando en (many strange languages)

My week has been Spanish-intense. For some reason, with four classes, I've had more Spanish homework this week than all my other classes combined.

One assignment a day, for three days. A short story (page and a half) due today. And, thanks to my tendency to want to get things over with as soon as possible, a 7 minute presentation about Flamenco yesterday (which turned out to be around 5 minutes long).

I've been having trouble sleeping lately, which has involved some interesting experiences.

For instance, on Monday night, I was half awake for part of the night thinking about homework assignments that I thought I had to do... or, thought I was in the process I was doing. (After my first 30 hour week of work as a lifeguard this summer, I was half awake in the middle of the night thinking I was supposed to be guarding a pool, and for that reason wouldn't let myself fall asleep... God forbid I should sleep on duty.)

Tuesday night, I was nervous about my presentation the next morning, and a bit preoccupied about my short story as well. I woke up in the middle of the night thinking in Spanish about the essay I wanted to write to provide context for my presentation. I knew I didn't have to, but I wanted to. (I know, right?)

It gets weirder, though. Last night, everyone around me (mostly people I don't know) was working on the same homework assignment. It involved programming in Python, something I have little to no experience with (unless looking over other people's shoulders who are programming in other languages counts). There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth. I quietly studied for my psychology test.

Then I went to bed. I was burned out from studying and math homework. And I woke up in the middle of the night convinced I was a computer programmer, and trying to program something. It took me a couple hours (still in the middle of the night) to figure out why. Not that that broke my delusion, of course.

(Another game recommendation: Pandemic, the game where everybody wins... or everybody loses.  Lots of fun, if you prefer collaboration to competition.)

No comments:

Post a Comment