Monday, August 15, 2011

Only a Grandmother

While on vacation, I and the friends I brought along (which you get to do when you're driving to a rented house) cooked dinner.  We had pasta, and decided to spruce up the pasta sauce with some extra ingredients.  We were all too excited about cooking, as we chopped and dumped things in the sauce... garlic! basil! tomatoes! anchovies!

Anchovies?

Just after I dropped a couple anchovies into the pot, I remembered... my grandma is severely allergic to all seafood.  Not sure how I forgot that.  Its one of those things that, as a family member, you aren't supposed to forget.

"Its okay" said my friends.  "We can just make separate sauce for her!"

Obviously, that's what we ended up doing, and it turned out that there wouldn't have been enough sauce for all the pasta anyways.  But I didn't want to leave it at that (because it seemed hard to slyly make sure one person would get a special plate...)  So I told my grandma that I'd accidentally put anchovies in the sauce and we were making her an extra pot.

She kissed me on the forehead.  "Haven't been able to do that in a while!"

I thought maybe she hadn't heard me (it happens), so I continued, saying I was sorry and didn't know what I was thinking.

"I'm sorry I can't eat anchovies!"

Okay, I guess I'm forgiven.  But it didn't stop there.  When we started to eat, my dad started to scold me for putting anchovies in the sauce.  My grandma protested, saying that her sauce was delicious and she didn't mind.

And then, a while later, she delivered the best line of the week.  As Alex talked about her boyfriend's leather pants, which smelled like beer and cigarettes...

"Your nose shouldn't bend down that far!"

No comments:

Post a Comment