Thursday, August 18, 2011

Being Committed

I've been meaning to do short blurbs about the books I read for a while, so I'm going to start picking away at them (backwards...)

While on vacation, I was reading Being Committed, by Anna Maxted.  I picked it up while at Half Price Books, because I was bored and wanted to read some summaries... ended up getting it from the library (a wonderful government institution), expecting a cheesy romance novel.

What I found was neither cheesy, nor romance (though, at 300 some odd pages, definitely novel).  Rather, it was a story of a woman delving into her past and exploring the history of her messed up family... with a thread of failed relationships to guide the story.  It was also refreshingly not saucy, in comparison to many of the adult oriented novels I've read (including everything by Jodi Picoult, who I love anyways).

I don't want to give away too much of the story, but I will say that it grabbed me... I had a hard time putting the book down, even when faced with the options of paddleboarding or sitting in a hot tub.

No comments:

Post a Comment