Thursday, February 3, 2011

A Rant on Ranting

I was going to write a post about this article because I think the points it makes are awesome, or at least important and interesting.  Then last night, I had an experience.  An incredibly awful experience.

Yes, last night I panicked.  My math professor hadn't covered all the material we needed to know for our homework which is due tomorrow.  He'd changed his office hours to a time I was busy.  And my job was suddenly feeling like the straw that would break the camel's back.

But math.  Math wasn't working.  You know how frustrating it is when math doesn't work?  And that was the half the assignment that the professor did cover in class.  So I panicked.  Naturally, this wasn't productive.  I got nothing done.

The next day I actually tried to do the parts I didn't know how to do.  They were ridiculously easy.  I felt kinda ridiculous.  Moral of the story?  Don't complain about an assignment being difficult until after you've tried to do it.

Sometimes ranting is fun.  Like ranting about music.  Like getting a song stuck in your head and realizing the first line of the song is "I was riding shotgun with my hair undone in the front seat of his car".  Really, Taylor Swift?  I liked your lyrics.  They were good.  What's this about?

Sometimes, ranting can make you realize that you weren't keeping an open enough mind.  Such as when I ranted about said lyric and someone responded:  "Where else would you ride shotgun?  In a stagecoach?  With an actual shotgun?  Cause that would be badass."

Everything will be okay, though.  "Time will tell if we can stand the test of time."  (Damn song lyrics.  Why you so silly?)

P.S. The link is to an article about bias and failure in medical studies.

P.P.S. Buy THIS GAME.  It is the best thing ever.  (That is an endorsement by one of the awesomenest redheads ever.)

No comments:

Post a Comment