Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Flashbacks to Seventh Grade Biology

As though I wasn't ready enough to move out of this room... I now have fruit flies.  What I don't understand is why.

There is some fruit in my room, but it's all in the form of craisens.  And they aren't hovering around that stuff either.  They're nowhere near my food.  Only the mirror and the window screen.  It's reminding me of one of those unpleasant parts to life at ICS that I always forget about in my reminiscing: the seventh grade fruit fly experiment.  Did anyone actually get good results on that?  None that I remember.  My fruit flies all died.  Almost everyone's fruit flies all died.  Yet somehow, every single year, the school got infested.  Somehow, every single year, you knew who didn't clean their locker by the fruit flies flying in and out of it.

I guess that doesn't say much for my room.  I swear its clean.  Unless fruit flies finally decided they like granola... took them long enough to find it.

In other news, I'm looking into buying myself a set of rechargeable batteries and a charger.  My camera takes AA batteries and I'm pretty sure it just went through a pair in 2 weeks.  Not cool, camera.  Not cool.

1 comment:

  1. We did the fruit fly lab... I think most people got decent data. It was hard to kill the flies, since it was just food and flies in a test tube. You felt kind of bad for the flies that got stuck in the food though :(

    We got as good data as you can imagine: You put 20 flies of different genotypes in the tube, they cross, you kill* the parents, and you observe Gen1. They cross, you kill* Gen1, and you observe Gen2. Then kill* them. Mendelian genetics works!

    *you stunned them, and sent them to the "morgue", which was a jar of vegetable oil...

    ReplyDelete